Sunday, November 7, 2010

Alright... This is the first time posting a playlist on the blog for the Morning Flipside. It was a good show with some good new music and I still had time to revisit some old favorites. Still working on a podcast but everyday we're getting one step closer to making it happen. The show is web cast at http://www.guilford.edu/wqfs/stream.php where you can hear me and all the other great dj's on WQFS 90.9 FM on your radio dial live and in stereophonic sound.
I was still able to dig up a lot of new releases... Let's proceed shall we?

Breeders "Flipside" -off Last Splash (1993) show theme, played every Saturday morning at 6am
Kurt Vile "In My Time" - off the In My Time EP coming out on 11/9

Superchunk "Horror Business" - a cover of the Misfits classic. This takes me back.

Joy Formidable "Whirring" - off A Balloon Called Moaning . One of the best albums of the year. This is one band that has made onto every show since I started in September. Thanks to Maddog for turning me onto them.

Blonde Redhead "Here Sometimes" - off Penny Sparkle. Still trying to warm to the band. This is one of the stronger tracks off the album.

Tapes N Tapes "Freak Out" - off Outside. Good song and love the added banjo. Normally you wouldn't here that from me.

Black Angels "Bad Vibrations" - off Phosphene Dream . Third album from the band from Austin TX on Blue Horizon.

Interpol "Summer Well" -off their self titled latest album. A little more light hearted than most of the other tracks on the album.

Violens "Violent Sensation Descends" - off Amoral . This song is all over the place but it works. We'll hear more from them in the future.

Ocasionally I will do a "go off on a tangent" set. A few weeks ago I did a set of Bob Dylan covers by current artists the day he was playing in Winston. Today, I decided to do one with current artists from Detroit, my hometown.

Death "Politicians in My Eyes" - off For the Whole World to See (2009). The album was originally recorded in 1974. As stated on air, the band was asked to change their name by the major record label and refused, thus shelving the album for 35 years. Thanks to Drag City Records for letting this see the light of day. You will hear the morphing of Iggy and Bad Brains in this track. Truly remarkable.

Tyvek "Underwater 2" - off Nothing Fits. Great band musically and best of all, they have a sense of humor.

Absofacto "Gnat Years" - A single release from the band from earlier this year. They've got some of the Peaches influence but in a pop kind of way. Waiting for the next serving ...more please.

The Dirtbombs "Wreck My Flow" - off We Have You Surrounded (2008) . Mick Collins is a legend in the underground scene in Detroit. Formally of the Gories, he's fronted the Dirtbombs since 1997. One of the best live bands out there. Mick is touring with the Gories again.

Elvis Costello "That Spell You Cast" - off National Ransom. Normally I wouldn't have given this much attention but this song seems to incorporate just about all the genres that Elvis has been experimenting with over the past 20 years. Sounds good.

The KABB's "Golden And Blue" - off the Golden and Blue EP. 60's style garage rock at its best.

Crocodiles "Sleep Forever" - off Sleep Forever. Title track of the album released a couple of weeks ago. So far I like what I hear.

Deerhunter "Coronado" - off Halcyon Digest. One of the best albums of the year by far. If only I were making a list.....

The Decemberists "Down By The Water" - off the upcoming album the King is Dead. The album is going to be released in January 2011. If this "leak" is any indication of what to expect from the rest of the album, this will be on everyone's top 10.

Jews and Catholics "Make Yr Mark" - off the 2008's EP Inside . Great stuff of the band out of Winston Salem.

Sparklehorse "Just War" - off The Dark Night of the Soul with Gruff Rhys on lead vocal. Mark Linkous' collaberation with Danger Mouse. Sadly, Mark took his life earlier this year but he still left us with a fine piece of work.

Dead Milkmen "Punk Rock Girl" - off Beelzebubba (1988). "asked for Mojo Nixon, they said he don't work here!" I still crack up everytime I hear that.

Depth & Current "Don't Go Away" - a single release from last week. The second best band I've heard from Oklahoma. I wonder who's number 1?

Daniel G Harmann and the Trouble Starts "Dee" - off Risk . The song caught my ear but I just haven't heard the album yet.

The Feelies "Up on the Roof" - off The Good Earth (1986). Classic eighties rock.

Best Coast "I Want To" - off Crazy for You. One of those albums that was released this year but half of it was leaked last year. Song has a Phil Spector feel....

Crystal Stilts "Shake Your Shackles" - single release from two weeks ago. I was going to play this one for the Halloween segment last week but good enough not to have to wait for 51 more weeks to play it.

Let's Wrestle "It's Not Going to Happen" - off In the Court of the Wrestling Let's (2009). Part of the station's rotation this was actually released late last year. Pure Brit Pop with indie flavorings.

Chasing Kings "Dark Sunglasses" - off the Current State of Our Future EP. By request. Played the song last week to good response.

XTC "Senses Working Overtime" -off English Settlement (1982). One of those songs that just crossed my mind the other day. Still one of my favorite songs of that era.

Two Cow Garage "Jackson Don't Worry" - off Sweet Saint Me. I've played "My Great Gatsby" a couple of times already. This song was written by guitarist Micah Schnabel for the infant son of bassist Shane Sweeney. Real heart-felt song from a great band.

Until next week we'll see ya......

No comments: